Okay. My father-in-law just might throw up a little if he reads this, BUT the rest of you may enjoy :)
Sweet Potatoes.

Probably my all-time favorite vegetable.
Mr. Potato Head's sweet cousin.
They're known as the healthiest veggie.
Full of Vitamin A (and 13 other vitamins and minerals).
Void of fat.
Moderate in carb.
And so, SO yummy!
Normally, I prefer to bake them and add a few marshmallows or Splenda brown sugar. Sometimes I'll mash them and add seasonings to taste. Some places will even serve sweet potato fries as an alternative to french fries. The most delicious way to devour them is via my momma's Sweet Potato Surprise: a delicious combo of mashed sweet potato casserole and a pecan-praline topping.
However, after my workout this afternoon I was craving something more snack-foody, and I really didn't have anything other than sweet potatoes and apples. So, since I didn't have an hour to bake the SP, I sliced it up and baked it.
Some thin and some thick. A little salt, twenty-five minutes on 450 in the oven... and presto! A delicious, natural, CHEAP, yummy snack. Sweet AND salty, and very filling. One potato provided a whole plate full of chips.
These were so yummy. I can't wait to make again, or even make ahead to take on the go. Tip: baked potatoes would work the same, and if you had time to make a few potatoes at a time, could potentially be cheaper than buying processed chips.
Hope your Tuesday was just as sweet!
One of my comfort foods is fried sweet potatoes. When I was a kid, I loved it when I'd wake up on Sunday mornings when Daddy was making biscuits and frying sweet potato slices. He'd sprinkle sugar on them before they were done. I buy SP occasionally, but they get baked before I get around to making Sunday breakfast. My other breakfast comfort food is pear preserves, but that's another childhood memory (we went searching for a honey tree, but found a huge pear tree on an abandoned farm instead).
ReplyDelete