Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thrifting


It's one of my favorite things. I'm slightly addicted, but I'd like to consider my addiction being a smart addiction. It has made our new house more of a home [although having the husband permanently here in May will officially make it home]. What is it?
Thrifting.

Mainly my finds come from Goodwill. Seriously, if they EVER need a spokeswoman that's not an employee, I'm their gal. Sometimes I find great picture frames, candle holders, curtains, knick knacks and paddy whacks, give a dog a bone. Oh but I've found the BIG things too - things that have furnished our new house for cheap cheap cheap.

What I probably love the most is working to make something that's old and tired into something gorgeous for my home. Yesterday's focus was the coffee table. Even though he'd never seen it in person, I asked husband if I could paint our coffee table. His answer - "Why not, you paint everything else." Gosh I love him.

Before:
It was a very pretty table to begin with, but it blended too much with the floor. Poor thing was just lost in the room.

After:
Ah, look how pretty it is! Even though it's black it still pops in the room. And those LEGS. Definitely worth $25 and an hour of sanding/painting.


Let me show you my very first Goodwill misfit.
Before:
It was covered with SHINEY polyurethane and so.scratched.up. It was screaming "I need help!". I didn't even have a house yet, but I was semi-depressed because Michael had just left for overseas and I needed to dive into something new.

After:
Yes, I know there's a mess on top of the dresser - that's why I didn't capture ALL of the laundry-in-transit in this photo. I'm human ;) But, look at my pretty dresser! So much storage in this beauty, and after yesterday's clothe-purging, I have about half of it emptied out.

Here's its unhung matching mirror
and a chair from Goodwilll:
Price for dresser and mirror: $45.
Price for chair: $11.99
Paint and materials: Freeeeeee (thanks mom and dad for your leftovers)

Since we're in this room anyway, here's a bed I also salvaged from the land of unwanted and abused home goodies:
Bed (with rails) - $12.99
The bed was the same color as the coffee table's original color - shiny polyurethaned oak. Yuck.
Bed Skirt - $1.99
Duvet Cover - $6.99
Curtain that you can't see too well - $2.99
Thank you Goodwill!

Also in that bedroom now:
Also originally icky, shiny oak. Now it's a pretty little nightstand.
Cost? $6.99
And guess where I found that awesome lamp. Really, guess. Yep, GW.

Another one of my big pieces that I needed for our home was a dining room table. We had one (thanks sister), but it was in storage in California when we bought our house. I wanted one, but knew I'd find it in time. I walked into Goodwill and there it was - gross, shiny and scratched up, light pined colored, and screaming for a makeover. For $35, this is what I made of it:
Don't worry, we have chairs now. You can't tell from the picture, but the table's not finished yet. I need a strong man or two to carry it to the basement so I can finish up the legs and give it a nice clear coat [polyurethane isn't ALL bad]. Side note: I'm thinking of dying those gold-ish curtains a deep red color. What do you think?

Not all of my Goodwill pieces need anything but good 'ol cleaning.
Like this beauty in our breakfast nook (I think I paid around $25 or $30):

And this lovely china hutch in our dining room (I paid right under $100, but oh-my-gosh it's one of my favorite pieces):

Let me also say, this is only the tip of the iceberg. I've found several bookcases, chairs, a desk, side tables, frames, and odd-and-end pieces. All you need is time, some elbow grease, and the eye for potential. Now, if you go and find something that I would have wanted, I'll be mad at you forever. But, here's another secret: GW is also great for clothes and shoes, and since I'm not buying any clothes or shoes this year, I won't be mad if you grab up all of their cute apparel ;)

Now go! Find something pretty, or find something ugly that you can make pretty. You deserve it (that's how I justify my addiction). Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment